Sunday, April 26, 2009

Quinceanera

Our neighbor installed a huge concrete patio and parking area behind his house last week. The construction tore up what little yard remained, but it was certainly a stimulus package for the neighborhood: a lot of industrious activity going on.

Friday evening, a mysterious Moon Bounce appeared in the backyard, and Saturday, all kinds of pink bows and pretty tablecloths were being spread. About 4:30 in the afternoon, the sound and light crews descended and finished the preparations.

Ron and I were going out to a concert last evening, and as I was getting ready, I could look out my window and see the quinceanera party unfolding on the patio below. The Moon Bounce was full of kids, and the princess was all decked out in pink and sitting on her improvised throne. A whole lot of people were eating a feast that had a tantalizing aroma, and the music was playing very loud.

The music was mostly pop-rock from a couple of decades back. I enjoyed listening to it while getting ready. Ron and I left for the concert, and afterwards went out to the Hollywood Diner with some friends. We arrived back home at 12:15 a.m. and the music was still playing.

I thought to myself that this might end up being a long night. Promptly at 12:30, the music stopped, the little princess in the pink dress slipped away in her glass slippers, and we all went to sleep, peacefully.

0 comments: