Monday, April 16, 2007

My Adventures with Portuguese Continue


I took Spanish and French in high school and German in college. I was dismal with it, all the way around. I didn't apply myself all that well in school, and I find myself in late middle age, as frankly mystified by Portuguese.


It is a great adventure, though. I've always wanted to learn a foreign language, and I want to visit Portugal, so the two aspirations come together in a pleasing way. It's been a lot of work. I spend about ten hours a week on it, and I feel like I'm making very little progress.


Some finds: I found two Wikipedia links to Portuguese verb conjugations and to Portuguese grammar. No doubt, these will come in handy for me. I've been using Rosetta Stone software, and for the most part, am pleased with it. It's a little kludgy, but works well enough for me to use it and recommend it to others. Just don't have any hopes for a miraculous way to learn a language. Stick to it, because it's a long grind.


I mentioned in an earlier post that I was meeting with the husband of one of my co-workers. I'm helping him brush up on his English, and he's helping me with Portuguese. We got together for a study session, yesterday, and three hours went by very quickly. We drank some wine, and ate some pão de queijo, or something like that. Anything with cheese in it works for me!

0 comments: