Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Birthday for Brian, Finally

I know that Brian has a birthday, because I see him periodically, and he's walking, talking, cute, all the evidence points to his existence. So I just assume he has a birthday, without paying a lot of attention to when. So last night the Boys went out to Heritage India to celebrate Brian's birthday, even though he acts like an Aries. I don't quibble over actual dates. I just want to eat food and celebrate my friend's birthday. Besides, all of the Boys' birthdays seem to get inconveniently bunched up in the March - April timeframe. Consider last night's celebration a "smoothing function" certainly after a couple of cocktails.

Brian, the Birthday Boy
Brian, the Birthday Boy

So here is Brian looking like a deer in the headlights. Notice that Tim doesn't look like a deer in the headlights. Perhaps that is because Tim likes to have his picture taken. Or an alternative explanation might be that he saw me get out the camera and realized that his picture was going to be taken anyway. Brian may have mistaken the camera for an appetizer, and so was unprepared for the flash. I'll have to ask him about that.

Ron and I got to the restaurant first, so that I could have a drink. Perry is certain that I have a drinking problem. I am less certain, though I might be in denial. At any rate, Brian shortly showed up, followed by Tim, then Perry. I only drank a small portion of my second drink (yes, I know, it sounds like I'm binge drinking, doesn't it?), because Tim and Brian drank most of it. It serves them right, because it was a fruity drink that Carrie might have tossed back just before Mr. Big did her. Guys, it was a GIRLIE drink.

While the other guys walked to the table, I shambled behind because a) I was settling the bar bill (BTW, the appetizers were marvelous. Yummy small plates of Indian delights half price at the bar during happy hour. What an excellent idea!) b) I was shambling because of the toxic affects of impending alcohol poisoning. Perry kindly pointed out at the table that I was stoned. I was probably lighted a little bit, but entirely conscious throughout the meal, and contributed my own bon vivant devil-may-care commentary.

Tim ordered a nice white. Brian wanted his own portion of eggplant, and Perry followed suit with some lamb dish. I ventured into hell with Lamb Vindaloo, which could cause acute gastric distress if you have any problems with the volcanometer. But it was damn good! Tim ordered a pea and mushroom curry that was also spicy, and Ron followed up with Aloo Ghobi, although the restaurant billed it as "Cauliflower and Potatoes with turmeric." The food at Heritage India is very good. I'm pretty sure everybody enjoyed the spread. We all ended it with an assortment of desserts. I ate my gulam jamun with a deeply satisfying nostalgia, thinking aw too, this soon will end at a doughnut shop. Which it did. Nothin' like a Crispy Creme after an Indian dinner!

Happy Birthday Brian! You don't look a day over 30. Honest. You're still cute as a bug. Anytime you want to celebrate your birthday, give me a holler. Ron's birthday is next....

5 comments:

Tim said...

first (as you should know by now) I never take more than a dainty little sip when sampling someone else's drink -- as for Brian, it WAS his birthday celebration, but I'll let him speak for himself
second, I don't need no liquor to get me there quicker for Mr Big (again as YOU should know) though I never turn away either either

[signed] Big (Dainty) Girl

Anonymous said...

The implications of Tim's comment are clear -- that I was the one who sucked down a large portion of Happy's drink, but you see, it wasn't my fault. My allergy medication was causing a vacuum in my head, making it virtually impossible to control myself once any sucking action starts. This can create awkward situations, but, alas, is a condition I have learned to deal with. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Happy said...

I am soooo bitter about this....

Tim said...

sooner come between a hound and its bone than a doodle and his drink!

Happy said...

Okay, so I was outa control. And then Brian had that dreadful allergic reaction. I was confused, and not sure exactly where I was. I had flashbacks to high school gym, the sweaty smell, the men, the booze. And the bartender looked exactly like my freshman PE teacher - physical, masculine. I just totally lost it. I apologize boys. I'll never order that GIRLIE drink again. I am Mr. Big.