Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Senior Tourist Moments

Dallin points out what happens to naughty little boys
Dallin points out what happens to naughty little boys!

I was all set to write in here yesterday, when I decided I'd better call my daughter, Mary, about when and where we were all going to get together in Yellowstone Park on Wednesday (today). She said, "Joseph's getting off work in a few minutes, and we should be on the road in half an hour." Shocking news for me!

I was in the resort's front lobby, and checked their reservation, and sure enough, it was for Tuesday night. For some reason, it had been in my head that they were coming in on Wednesday, and I'd made plans with the rest of the family according to that (very flawed) line of thinking.

I quickly hiked back up the hill to our cabin at the top of the ridge above the resort, huffing and puffing as I went, because the altitude is much higher than I'm used to, and I was walking a little faster than I usually do up the hill. Or maybe it's just that I'm easily winded, or windy as the case may be.

Intrepid Explorers
Intrepid Explorers

I got back to the cabin, made a dramatic (of course) entrance and proclaimed that we were changing plans for the day, indeed! It ended up that Ron, John, Grace, and I went in our car, and Kat and Pattie were going to catch up, even though Pattie couldn't start her car because it was dead. She's having some major problems with her car (an aside, she, Katherine, and Grace are taking Pattie's car all the way to Jackson Hole today - does that seem like a good idea? Pattie thinks that as long as her car is parked downhill, it will start..., but I'm not convinced that's going to take care of the "thunk" every time her automatic transmission shifts gears. Buick, American Made.

Beryl Spring
Beryl Spring

In the end, Karen and Joe stayed at the Chico Hot Springs Resort with CJ and Gracie. It seems the kids needed a nap, and Mom and Dad needed one, too. The rest of us set off for Old Faithful where Joseph and Mary and the kids were going to meet us at 1 p.m. As a plan, it was flawless (implementation is everything).

On the way down to Old Faithful, we stopped by the Beryl Spring. Notice the boiling water. The minerals color everything in interesting ways. Where the hot springs are active, the ground is vivid oranges and browns. Otherwise, the ground is a white calcite-like crust. It's a giant shroud, and the landscape looks dead. There's a marked contrast between the saturated meadow greens, the multi-colored fountains and fumaroles, and the white steaming death in between.

Dallin, Eliza, Matthew, Mary, Molly, and Andrew
Dallin, Eliza, Matthew, Mary, Molly, and Andrew

So here is Mary and the kids. (Joseph is away, getting some ice cream.) Dallin is the oldest followed by Eliza, Andrew, Matthew, and Mollie. Here we are at the Old Faithful lodge. We had all met at the Visitor's Center. Mary, Joseph, and the kids were somehow very easy to pick out in the crowds.... The kids travel very well, and the parents have kid transport down to a fine science. It was cute and informative to watch.

Faithful Old Faithful
Faithful Old Faithful

Old Faithful was predicted to erupt at 2:05 p.m. In the meantime, we chatted, and finally hustled outside to stand with the throngs to watch the eruption. The kids were awed (so were the adults), and afterwards, as the geyser was still spewing steam and water, but was almost spent, and the crowds were leaving quickly for the parking lot, Dallin kept proclaiming, "But it's still erupting!" Obviously, Dallin will grow up watching all the closing credits at the movies, because it isn't over until it's over!

Thousands of people were watching. It's an interesting group experience, it kind of reminds me of some of the crowd scenes in Independence Day, although this viewing had a much better outcome. This is not quite like a sporting event, and the thrill is different than seeing a geyser in a book. I guess it's an interactive, vicarious thrill, if there is such a thing. A few people clapped when it was all over, a fitting end to an awe-full experience.

Mud Pot or Day Spa?
Mud Pot or Day Spa?

Oh, but wait, there's more. From Old Faithful we headed up the road to the Paint Pots. I find hot mud particularly inviting, and this area has a couple of interesting features. In the spring, the mud is thin because of the run off. It gets quite thick in the summer. As the mud erupts in the pits, in some places it forms cones. The mud in the spring is less colorful, but still, it all looks like a witches cauldron. Perhaps Dick Cheney uses mud from these Wyoming mud pots as a plaster to keep his smile permanently in place. Lynn probably uses it, too.

After the Mud Pots, we stopped along Firehole Drive to see some falls, and some chipmunks! Then we hit the road back to get home in time for the family's reservation at 6:30 p.m. Frankly, my bottom was turning into lead. Ron and I decided to have dinner in the grill with Mary's family (I couldn't get a dinner reservation for them at a reasonable hour), then the whole family gathered in our cabin's front room for the rest of the evening. We had a grand old time of it.

Joseph and Eliza
Joseph and Eliza

It is a little awkward, in that I don't know Mary that well, and I am, in fact, shy. Happily, the kids provide a built-in topic of conversation, and bless Karen's heart, she jumped right in and got that conversation started!

It's difficult to express my gratitude to be able to see Mary and Joseph and the kids. I loved holding and playing with the little ones, and I enjoyed the small talk and banter with Mary and Joe. Joe Wallace made lots of points with the boys by bringing out some of CJ's toys, and Ron ended up playing with the boys. It got a little wild, but Molly was in the middle of it, just watching and laughing. She was very amused by the antics of her older cousins.

Molly, Gracie, Matthew, Andrew, CJ, Eliza, and Dallin
Molly, Gracie, Matthew, Andrew, CJ, Eliza, and Dallin

Here's a picture of all seven cousins from youngest to oldest, one cousin for every year for the last seven years. The couch was just wide enough, almost as wide as CJ's smile! Eliza was a little tired. I think all the kids were just about ready to go home and sleep. The adults had kept them up until 10:30 p.m. I hope the day will come soon when Mary will tell me what Joseph thought of this new family. It's different, but very happy.

This morning everyone gathered again, this time for breakfast. I got up to a rainy day and made a run to the general store in Emigrant for English Muffins, paper plates, cups, and apricot jam. I'm a big apricot jam fan. We had lots of other supplies on hand, and cobbled together a respectable "continental" breakfast for seventeen big and little ones.

In the course of the conversations, I had a short exchange with Joseph about the Church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). He and the other Joe had also talked some about Joseph's mission in Germany. I have such a mixed emotional and intellectual Church tie that continues to remain strong over the decades. I want my kids and grandkids to have a strong faith, but I want them to be happy, too, and ultimately I believe in my heart and soul that happiness should trump faith. I believe Happiness here and now is much more important than happiness after death. My prayer is that Mary and Joseph will want their kids to be happy here and now.

Little Critter
Little Critter

A final note: Andrew asked me this morning if Ron was married. I replied, "Sort of." Andrew asked me what I meant by that. I didn't know what to tell this four-year old, and I wasn't sure what Mary and Joseph had told the kids about Ron and me. So I waffled, and I regret that waffling. I apologize to Andrew and his parents, and I apologize to Ron. I told Andrew that Ron had a friend, and Andrew replied, "I hope he gets married and has children." For the record, while marriage may be in the cards for Ron, I think that he'd rather play with kids, rather than have them. And Andrew, I'm the friend that Ron someday might marry, should that opportunity arise, and should our society decide to honor the very special friendship that he and I have shared for twenty-five years. Because, Andrew, Ron loves me, and I love him dearly, and I'm sincerely sorry that I didn't tell you the whole story.

0 comments: