Saturday, May 31, 2008

Busy Day Downtown... Photos to Follow

I'm in a very cosmopolitan mood. Sex in the City has opened, and I'm a long ways from the urban mix here in Moscow, Idaho, which isn't to say that Moscow doesn't have its sophisticated moments. Here at the hotel, we're in the middle of the 1953 Moscow High School reunion. Ron's in the room taking a nap. I'm in the bar, being Cosmo Boy.

Today has been laid back and busy, all at the same time. We headed out to breakfast at the Breakfast Club with Kat and several of her friends from Gritman Medical Center. I had met most of these friends before (although I hadn't met Dina who has two chihuahuas and a mixed Pug Italian Greyhound). The put on a very tasty spread at the Club. I ordered a half portion, and was quite satisfied being only half a pig.

I asked the women about my former wife's sister-in-law, Judy, who works at the hospital. Jeannie left breakfast early to go to work, and within a few moments, she called Kat to tell her that Judy was working in the Emergency Room. So after breakfast, Ron and I walked over to the hospital to see Judy.

I've always had a special kinship with Judy. We both married into the same family, she more successfully than I. Her kids are all grown up. Her youngest has just enlisted in the Marines to be a jet engine mechanic. Her oldest daughter just had a baby. Two sons are back in school, and one is helping his father with the farm. Judy is still the pert, cute women that Mark married over thirty years ago. She has aged graciously and well.

Afterwards, Ron and I wandered to Sweetpeas and Sage, a flower shop where I buy flowers for Mom. I wanted to meet the owner. Kathy has a disarming smile and apparently speaks her mind. We had a delightful conversation with her before we headed off to the Farmers Market, then on to Mom's.

We visited with Mom for a while, then Ron and I took a long walk around Moscow's business district. We had lunch with Mom, then Kat called and invited us to her studio. She shares a studio at the "The Barn" in Uniontown, Washington. The Barn is an old dairy barn that has been made into an artist's dream - studios and a gift shop! I love Kat's watercolors, and purchased one, and bought some of her cards, as well. We visited with the shop manager, then came back here to the hotel, which is where I'm writing this, and being very cosmopolitan.

0 comments: