Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Okay, I voted for Clinton

I had a daunting experience getting to the polls last night - freezing rain. I walked rather than taking the car. It was pretty miserable. When I got to the polls, the location had no ballots, so I was given a piece of notebook paper, told to list the offices and my candidate choices, and that's the new era of Maryland ballots: write your own!

I knew before going that Senator Obama was probably going to take Maryland, I just wasn't prepared for how much. I stuck by my woman. I believe that Senator Clinton is the best person to lead our nation during the next four years. But I'm not dismayed with the result, either. I will work for the Democratic nominee. I can't overstate how important it is for our political status quo to change. We cannot continue our present course. We cannot continue with a Republican president. America can do much better than our current president and his short-sighted, undemocratic, and heavy-handed government.

So, Senator Clinton, I hope you do well in Wisconsin, Texas, and Ohio. For both Senators, it's my fervent hope that you'll reach out to each other, that the contest will not embitter supporters, that whoever the winner is, we'll have a united front against a formidable Republican establishment. Our eyes should not be only on our favorite candidate, but on the ulitmate goal of bringing a new vision and conscience to the White House, a Democratic president who will lead us to peace in Iraq and prosperity for all Americans.

0 comments: