Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Traveler and the Tourist

I just got back (well, last week) from a sailing trip in the Virgin Islands (Br.) with some friends. I had a wonderful time, and the exhange rate is just right! It's almost becoming a rite of spring for me to head to the Caribbean, and certainly I enjoy the sun and the beaches, but more than that, I enjoy the adventure of seeing places I've never been.

What I like about travel is the wonder of it all. The Baths in Virgin Gorda demand to be explored. Sidney's Peace and Love on Jost Van Dyke is not like a Washington, DC dining experience. Sailing into the wind over deep, blue sea is an excitement and a delight that I don't experience in Wheaton.

Oh, and I did some of the tourist stuff, too - I bought those t-shirts (made in India) that tell everyone I was in the islands.

0 comments: